Creme de violette is a floral liqueur with a delicate violet flavor that is often used in cocktails like the Aviation. You can make your own homemade creme de violette with this simple recipe:
- 1 cup fresh violet blossoms (petals only, no green parts)
- 2 cups vodka (80-proof or higher)
- 1 cup water
- 1 12 cups granulated sugar
- 14 teaspoon lemon zest (optional for added flavor)
- Harvest Violet Petals:
- Harvest fresh violet blossoms, making sure to pluck only the petals. Avoid using the green parts, as they can add bitterness to the liqueur. You will need about 1 cup of violet petals.
- Infuse Vodka:
- Place the violet petals in a clean glass jar or container.
- Pour the vodka over the petals, making sure they are fully submerged.
- Seal the jar tightly with a lid.
- Steep the Petals:
- Allow the violet petals to steep in the vodka for about 24 to 48 hours. Keep the jar in a cool, dark place.
- Check the infusion periodically to ensure the petals release their flavor. You should notice the vodka taking on a violet hue.
- Strain the Infusion:
- After the steeping period, strain the vodka to remove the violet petals. Use a fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth to ensure no solids remain.
- Make Violet Syrup:
- In a separate saucepan, combine the water and granulated sugar. If you want to add a hint of citrus, you can also include the lemon zest.
- Heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Bring the syrup to a gentle simmer, then remove it from heat.
- Combine Infused Vodka and Syrup:
- Allow the syrup to cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, combine the violet-infused vodka and the violet syrup. Mix well.
- Bottle and Store:
- Pour the creme de violette into clean glass bottles with tight-fitting lids.
- Seal the bottles and store them in a cool, dark place for at least a week to allow the flavors to meld and mellow.
- Your homemade creme de violette is ready to use in cocktails or as a delightful addition to desserts.
Please note that the flavor and color of your homemade creme de violette may vary based on the specific violets you use. Be cautious when foraging for violets; make sure they are free from pesticides and other contaminants. Always enjoy your homemade liqueur responsibly.